Raising Your Deaf Child
Get information and resources you need to know about raising a Deaf child.
If your child someone you know has a Deaf child, you should feel confident knowing there is a wealth of information available to successfully raise your child. Anything is possible with the right tools. Read the information shared here, as well as tools, tips, and inspiring stories and news that will make you feel comfortable that your Deaf child will have a happy and successful life with every door open.
- DBC Updates Read the latest updates on John’s activities with the Deaf Bilingual Coalition.
- An Inspiring StoryRead the inspirational story about Luke as told from his grandmother.
- Learning to SignWhat does it take to learn ASL, and why should you?
- American Sign LanguageWhat is American Sign Language, and how will it benefit my child?
- Deaf CultureDoes deafness have a culture, and what does it involve?
- Deaf ChildrenIs it normal to have a deaf child? What does it mean for me?
- Baby Sign LanguageShould I teach my baby sign language? What are the benefits?
- Hearing DeafnessWhat exactly is deafness, and what are its causes?
- Hard of HearingWhat is “hard of hearing” and what does it mean?
Links and Resources
- The Deaf Bilingual Coalition
- American Society for Deaf Children
- National Association of the Deaf
- Gallaudet University
- National Technical Institute f/t Deaf
- Dawn Sign Press
- California State University-Northridge
- Harris Communications
- Babies and Sign Language
- Eye on Language: Deaf Babies
- Signing Time
- ASL Access
- Cyborgization: Deaf Education for Young Children in the Cochlear Implantation Era
- The Deaf Resource Library
- Infamous Milan 1880 History
Latest Advice and Tips
- Before You Choose
- Always ask for ‘Outcomes’ before making decisions.
- When Raising A Deaf Child
- It shouldn’t be: What can your child do for you. It should be about what you can do for your child